One of the longest serving and most successful leaders
of a blue-chip company and a highly regarded businessman,
Sir Stuart Hampson was chairman of the John Lewis Partnership
for 14 years until his retirement in March 2007.
A popular and likeable businessman, Sir Stuart joined
the partnership in February 1982 following a twelve
year career in the Civil Service. In 1986 he was appointed
to the Partnership’s Central Board as Director
of Research & Expansion and took charge of the
Partnership’s development programme. The Deputy
Chairmanship was added to his Partnership responsibilities
in May 1989, and he became the fourth Chairman of the
Partnership in 1993.
During those 14 years at the helm of JLP Sir Stuart
presided over a courageous programme of modernisation,
and all without sacrificing the partnership ethos and
principles that were embodied in its 1929 constitution
co-ownership and the happiness of its staff.
A founding deputy chairman of London First and past
President of the Royal Agricultural Society of England
(2005/06), he is President of the Employee Ownership
Association and continues to champion the benefits
of employee engagement in business.
Sir Stuart is a patron of the HFT (The Home Farm Trust
Ltd), a national charity providing long term support
for people with learning disabilities and their families.